Thursday, May 28, 2009

Feed Project.. POSTER

My 'feed' contains lots and lots of advertisement of all sorts, from clothing to jewelery. Containing also, is brand names. As much as we would like to deny it, the truth is brand is so important to us whenever and whatever we shop for. These advertisement shows America, or represents American as a dollar sign as most people would say it. America seems to only care about consumerism and less about the people. For example in "Feed" Violet was rejected of a repair because she didn't consume enough, therefore they saw no reason to let her live. This is so cruel and harsh, it really is. I mean a innocent person is dying from this stupid computer chip that was implanted into her brain and all you can think about is how it will affect the stock market? Gosh, really... This was so sad because it really showed me that people's lives are less important. The social implications are obvious, I mean its all sex appeal. For example, the Victoria Secret ad, the model is like half naked, its implying that if I get that bra or underwear I'll be seen the same way, which is so not true. I mean sure, it has its ups but really, who's really going to see it anyway? I mean unless you go around showing people, then I guess that's a different story. Most of the time these implications are bad, I mean its just pressure people to feel a need to get something because they want to feel 'sexy' or 'cool' it really puts one in a bad situation. Resistance isn't something easily done, I mean even I have an issue with it. I have my views on what's cool, what's in and what's out. I think everyone does, its natural to do so. You're constantly surrounded by these things everyday, eventually you can't help but get pulled into it. Plus its part of our society to do so. The media doesn't quite show us resistance because well, the media IS a big part of consumerism, if they go against it, what do they have left? The impact is pretty big, I'd say. Like I've mentioned before even I have my 'cool's and my ins and outs. Its normal really, my 'cool' may not be your cool but it really defines a person's personality. Kind of like the stereotypes, like if you wear all black, you're either emo or gothic. Its real simple, but I think this effects us all. The moral Anderson wants us all to see and understand is that if we don't control ourselves now, things will only get worse. People will become more stupid, lives will be worthless, and corruption amongst all those lines. Its horrifying and for the most part, sad.
I think Titus ordered those pants just because he was bored and his 'feed' was shooting ads at him about the pants and I guess what better thing to do than buy it? At the end when the interlude said "Everything must go!" I think it indicated that in the end even if an innocent girl dies, the world of consumerism continues and nobody really cares unless we are willing to take a stand and do something about it.

I found this quite amusing...


No comments: